Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Explanation of Riverview Decision


At our June 10th regular school board meeting the board voted down a motion to move the Riverview East High School back to its previous location. I voted yes, which is what I felt was in the best interests of the students of the East China School District. I can understand why the motion was voted down, based on the fact that this was a last minute move when the 2013-14 school year is right around the corner.

On the other hand, what I cannot understand is why the same board members that voted against going through the process the first time around decided to follow a process this time. You see, if these same board members would have voted with the motion at the March 2012 meeting, we would not even be having this conversation. Mr. McNamee and Mr. Koenigbauer both voted against the motion in 2012 while Mr. Folske is the only member to hold true to his conviction, in regard to process.

Blaming the last Superintendent for this decision is not an option; since this board had an opportunity to right a wrong last year (before the school was moved in the first place.) My concern is that a process was followed this time, simply because it was politically convenient to do so. I hope I am wrong and that the board will continue to support an open, honest process in the future and not just when it’s politically convenient to do so.

Allen Reichle

(810) 406-2802 or AllenReichle@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a process should have been followed last year when RVE was moved. But just because it wasn't then is no reason a process should not be followed this time. I think the board members who put forth a motion to move the school back without getting all the information and getting all things in place (the way it should have been done last year) were "jumping the gun" and were wrong. I don't trust the motives of the board members who voted down the motion, but I do agree with the vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your stance, but I only voted the way that I felt was in the best interests of the children. I feel that the only issue in this case was timing. Time will tell-November (when the committee will present their findings) is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete