Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My thoughts on redistricting

Since the board voted to close Eddy Elementary there have been many questions from concerned parents in regard to redistricting that have gone largely unnoticed.

Obviously, with a closure of an elementary school the elementary boundaries will change (there's no doubt.) The issue that many are concerned about is whether or not the lines will dip students that are currently expecting to go to SCHS to either Belle River or Palms elementary.

I understand the concern. I have first hand experience of this when I was in the 4th grade going into 5th back in 2000 they changed the boundaries from when I went to Pine River to Washington Elementary.

There are a lot of rumors and I would not suggest putting any stock in them. I do know that Mrs. Frank and Mrs. Murphy want the lines drawn to Puttygut Road (for secondary boundaries.)

Most of the concerns are with how the board will handle secondary boundaries and I understand those concerns. Personally I predict if this bond proposal in May fails we may see another flip-flop from the board as Gearing is more expensive to operate with the boiler/electricity issue.

Now my thought on all of this is simple: My prediction and the board's assumption should be that the bond fails in May, with that we will more than likely need to keep Eddy Elementary open and keep status quo at least for a while. We then need to determine once and for all the best approach to close an elementary school. I would suggest keeping the secondary boundaries as they are at least for now and phase in any changes as to not affect parents of students that have bought a house for the purpose of where their child will go to school.

Lastly, I also predict that details will not be put out to parents until after the election as they are going to mess with the boundaries ESPECIALLY if people vote in favor of the tax hike on May 3rd. The numbers just don't add up as of now and it's in your hands at this time.

Allen Reichle

No comments:

Post a Comment